The library catalogue and your library account
Search the catalogue and access your library account on iDiscover.
To access the account features such as renewing items you have borrowed or reserving items on loan to other people, you must log in with your Raven login details.
If you have problems with the above web access, you can telephone 01223 747260 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to renew items.
- For a step-by-step guide to renewing and reserving items on the catalogue, as well as making effective catalogue searches, please see our guide to using iDiscover.
Reserving items on loan
Items on loan to someone else can be reserved on iDiscover and also on the enquiry screens in the Library.
Current borrowers of the reserved item are informed of a reservation request. Note that they may have a shortened return date, and they will not be able to renew it. To ensure prompt return, they will be fined if the item is not returned within three days of the return date.
When your reserved item is returned to the Library, you will be informed by email. You must collect the item from the reserve shelf at the end of the enquiry desk within four days.
Renewing loans (extending an item’s loan period)
- To renew online: http://www.idiscover.cam.ac.uk (login with your Raven ID).
- To renew by email: email@example.com.
- To renew by telephone: 01223 747260 (with answer service out of hours).
The following points should be noted with regard to renewing items:
- Renewals are unlimited, up to a maximum 56 day period, using the online system and our self issue screens. Further renewals must be requested at the Library enquiry desk.
- You cannot renew items if you have an unpaid fine above the fine limit.
- You cannot renew an item if someone else has reserved it. You will be informed by email if a reservation has been made for an item you have on loan, and whether this has shortened the due date on your item.
Overdue items and fines
You will be notified by email when your items are due back shortly, and you will receive regular reminders about overdue items.
Fines are not levied on overdue items, except when the overdue items are reserved by another user. You will receive email notification of a reservation placed on an item you have on loan. You must return reserved items promptly to avoid a fine of £5 per item.
Continued failure to return Library items will result in referral to the Dean.
Lost, damaged or defaced items
If you lose a library book you will be responsible for its replacement. Please be aware that many of the textbooks we buy are very expensive (often in excess of £100).
If you spot that a library book is damaged or has been defaced, please inform a member of staff in person, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to report damage could result in you being held accountable as the last borrower of an item. This could result in replacement charges and referral to the Dean.